(250) 417-6696 or (250) 429-3943



Frequently Asked Questions - Regulations: Licenses, Tags, Permits, Border Crossing

FAQs - Regulations: Licenses, Tags, Permits, Border Crossing

No – we are allocated a certain number of tags and take care of all of the licenses and tags prior to you joining us for the hunt.

Here are the current minimum size/point restrictions. One important role of your guide is to make sure that animals are harvested under the current government regulations and it is important to follow his or her direction. However, you are also responsible for knowing what is legal.

Animal Government Restriction (point or sex) Grizzly Basin – self-imposed additional restriction
Elk (archery – Sept 1st – 9th) Any bull None
Elk (gun or bow – Sept 10th – October 20th) At least 6 points on one side None
Mountain Goat None Billies (Males) only
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Full curl rams only None
Grizzly Bear No sows with cubs Boars (Males) only
Mule Deer At least 4 points on one side (not counting a brow tine) None
Whitetail Deer Any antlered deer None
Moose Any bull None
Black bear No sows with cubs None
Cougar, Bobcat, Lynx and Wolf None Males only

So why do we self-impose additional restrictions on our Mountain Goat and Grizzly Bear hunts? Scientific studies have shown that Mountain Goat and Grizzly Bear populations are extremely sensitive to the harvest of females. In our view, the government does not make it illegal to harvest female Mountain Goat and Grizzly bear because it is difficult to determine sex of these 2 animals in the field. Therefore, they adjust their harvest quotas to account for a certain expectation of females being taken. It is in the best interest to the future of hunting these 2 animals in BC if we attempt to limit our harvest of females. Our hunters must respect the judgment of their guide for determining the sex of these animals when hunting – and the guide may ask you not to shoot a particular Grizzly Bear or Mountain Goat if he is very confident that it is a female. We have very good populations of both of these animals, so there is an excellent chance of finding a male for both species.

Generally, crossing this border is straight-forward and will include going through immigration and customs both ways. Ensure you have the necessary papers. Passports are required now for all travel into and out of Canada. Border agents may also ask to see a return air ticket as well as the hunting contract between you and Sawtooth Outftters/Grizzly Basin Outfitters.

At the end of your hunt, we will provide you with a government-issued "End of Hunt" form. It will list the animals you hunted, the animals harvested and the number of days hunted in each game management unit. The BC wildlife branch uses this information for game management purposes and you are required by law to sign this form upon the completion of your hunt. The border crossing agents may also ask to see this form when crossing back across the border.

In addition to your personal gear required for the hunt, you may bring the following into Canada:

      • 200 cigarettes (= 1 carton), or 50 cigars, or 14 ounces of tobacco
      • 40 imperial ounces (= 1 bottle) of liquor or wine, or 24 x 355-milliliter (12-ounce) bottles or cans of beer for personal consumption
      • Gifts up to the value of C$60 per gift. 
      • You can bring in a small amount of food for your own consumption.

Note: You are no longer able to carry lighters on carry-on bags with major US airlines, so if you bring a lighter, we suggest that you put it in your checked baggage if you are flying

Yes, but it is a fairly simple process. The paperwork is on our website for download. You have to fill out a form and hand it in to the customs officer when crossing the border. We have not had any problems in the past with our hunters doing this.

Rifle barrels need to be at least 18.5 inches and the overall gun length must be greater than 26 inches. No handguns are allowed.

Canadian Immigration and Visitor regulations restrict persons with convictions that would be considered criminal charges in Canada to enter Canada. If you have had a DUI (driving under the influence) charge against you, any time in the near or far past, and if it shows up on your records in the US (which can be accessed by our Customs & Immigration officers through co-operative agreements between the US and Canada) then you may be denied entry to Canada. Random checks are common.

A one-time application can be made at the Canadian border for approximately $200 Cdn., taking up to 4 hours to complete, or a permanent application for visitor entry can be made through the Canadian Embassies in the US for a lesser amount ($35 Cdn.); however, this process can take 6 months or more. Some visitors with such convictions have been successful by pre-arranging their border crossing application and carrying letters from their home police force, clergy, etc. indicating their compliance with the rules over the past few years. We suggest you communicate with a Canadian Immigration office prior to your planned trip if you have such a past charge.

Call Canada Border Crossing Services for help 1 (204) 488-6350 or 1-800-438-7020